It might be surprising to think of football as something that could be interesting itself, and not as a societal phenomenon. Yet, I am sure that with a few changes it could really become something worth watching.
- Once the ball has been taken to the other half of the playing field, it can’t be taken back. If you do, your opponents will benefit from a throw-in. Come on, all these passings are simply pointless.
- Forget offside. The rule is as outdated as the second amendment. And, by the way, it is absurd to make the few interesting passings (see 1.) irregular!
- Actual playing time. 2 halves, 25 minutes each. 50′ of real play would be enough – and, anyway, much better than 80′ of backwards passings.
- Unlimited substitutions. Why bother?
- When a draw is not allowed, as in World Cup finals, just go on playing until somebody scores. They will be motivated to make some action happen.
Well, I know. Just joking, I know I’ll just have to keep following other stuff.